Our Mission & Equality Objectives
‘The SGS Academy Trust will aim to focus on the development of the whole child by involving pupils, parents and staff in a supportive, aspirational and caring environment. We will positively promote and nurture the academic, moral, social, physical and creative growth of the children in our care.’
“It is only in great schools that talent, skills and the change makers of the future are spotted, nurtured and developed.”
Sir Nick Weller
‘Broader, Further, Higher’
- SGSAT will support schools to improve pupil attainment and distance travelled through the provision and coordination of effective performance management and professional development / capacity building, continuous improvement and promoting best practice through peer support and knowledge exchange
- SGSAT will provide efficient, effective and coordinated non-curriculum services to each school to; a. drive down the costs of these services for each school, b. add value in the services they could access individually and c. ensure more budget is focused on student facing services.
‘The SGS Academy Trust will aim to focus on the development of the whole child by involving pupils, parents / carers, staff and the community in a supportive, aspirational and caring environment. We will positively promote and nurture the academic, moral, social, physical and creative growth of the children in our care.’
- Our aspirations: We aspire to be a great community consisting of great schools. ‘It is only in great schools that talent, skills and the change makers of the future are spotted, nurtured and developed.’ – Sir Nick Weller.We will aim for excellence in all we do: in our teaching, in the depth and breadth of our learning experiences, and in the personal qualities of the people within our community.
- Our qualities: All members of our community will be effective communicators, who are confident, curious, creative, independent, self-reflective, respectful, resilient, resourceful, and enterprising.
Our Educational Character
- Learners are treated as individuals and we will facilitate their learning journey throughout
- Where possible, the curriculum offer and wider educational experience will adapt to the needs of the cohort, and will reflect a student’s choice, ability and needs
- We will ensure ambition is fostered, resilience is a core strength and progression at all levels is the primary outcome for each pupil
- We will create a visionary and innovative way of providing learning that fosters a sense of belonging.
- Learners are prepared for employment, or further progression, with the aim of producing well-rounded individuals who can respect each other and make a positive contribution to society
- There is an inclusive environment for staff and learners with equality of opportunity, where diversity is respected
- Teaching and learning will excite and inspire
- The teaching and promotion of ‘Enterprise’ will be a core theme through all our schools
- The success of learners and staff is championed and celebrated
- Each individual is treated with integrity, respect and dignity
- A culture of openness prevails
- Continuous improvement is expected amongst pupils and staff
We will provide a first-class education which is genuinely inclusive and which opens doors; a learning community which is both inspired and inspiring.
To achieve this, we will:
- enable innovative and creative curriculum design and provision
- recruit, retain and develop the very best staff, Trustees and Local School Board members
- work in partnership with parents, stakeholders and the wider educational community
- make effective use of resources, including the learning environment and services
Our approach to equality is based on the following. Constituent Schools monitor localised plans based on the following principles and the unique requirements of the School:
Seven Key Principles
- All learners are of equal value. Whether or not they are disabled, whatever their ethnicity, culture, national origin or national status, whatever their gender and gender identity, whatever their religious or non-religious affiliation or faith background and whatever their sexual orientation.
- We recognize, respect and value difference and understand that diversity is a strength. We take account of differences and strive to remove barriers and disadvantages which people may face, in relation to disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, belief or faith and sexual orientation. We believe that diversity is a strength, which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit here.
- We foster positive attitudes and relationships. We actively promote positive attitudes and mutual respect between groups and communities which are different from each other.
- We foster a shared sense of cohesion and belonging. We want all members of our schools’ communities to feel a sense of belonging within their school and wider community and to feel that they are respected and able to participate fully in school life.
- We observe good equalities practice for our staff. We ensure that policies and procedures benefit all employees and potential employees in all aspects of their work, including in recruitment and promotion, and in continuing professional development.
- We have the highest expectations of all our learners. We expect that all learners can make good progress and achieve to their highest potential
- We work to raise standards for all learners, but especially for the most vulnerable. We believe that improving the quality of education for the most vulnerable groups of learners raises standards across the whole Trust.
Where We Are Now
- SGSAT has sponsored one 11-16 school and has successfully opened a University Technical College and a Special Free School
- Our first school, Forest High School, successfully exited special measures in July 2018.
- The founding Trust Board, CEO and Executive team are in place, and three Headteachers began their roles in September 2019.
Our Strategic Priorities
- To be recognised as an outstanding Trust by all stakeholders
- To be visionary and innovative in providing high quality educational experiences by anticipating and meeting demand
- To enhance the quality of the experience we provide for our learners and our staff
- To develop responsive partnerships with all our learners and staff, employers, public services, the local community and with other education providers
- To ensure we have the necessary resources to support our Plan
- To provide an environment in our schools that equips them for the delivery of high quality learning