Job Description Summary
This GE Aviation Systems Apprenticeship is an IET Approved Scheme for people with passion for technology, dedication to technical excellence and who feel a connection to GE’s Beliefs. The programme is an alternative to full-time University, and you will study for an Engineering Bachelor’s (Hons) Degree, with all fees paid, whilst gaining work experience on live Avionics projects and accelerating your career through challenging opportunities and Continuous Professional Development.
Essential Responsibilities :
This exceptional Engineering Degree Apprentice Programme exposes you to all areas of a global organization, intent on solving some of the world’s largest problems, and you will have the opportunity to see first-hand how ideas come to life. The Engineering Degree Apprentice Programme is a fantastic opportunity to challenge yourself in an encouraging, supportive environment, whilst gaining hands-on experience of some of the most complex engineering challenges in the world today.
The programme consists of:
EMBEDDED ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER LEVEL 6 APPRENTICESHIP (YEARS 1 – 5)
• BEng (Hons) Degree in Electronic & Computer Engineering
• Application for Professional Registration as IET Engineering Technician (EngTech)
• 6-month rotations in Live Avionics engineering teams to gain skills and experience in Years 2 – 4
• Longer rotation, within a specific engineering discipline, to continue experience depth in Year 5
• Training to improve your Professional Development Skills, including collaboration and leadership skills, presentations and business insight
• Completion of the GE Team Development Award Scheme
• Support from Technical, Academic and Pastoral Mentors
• Numerous opportunities to participate in enrichment activities, local schools’ engagement, the GE Apprentice network and various external events such as the Cheltenham Science Festival, Imagineering Shows, Go4SET, Engineering Education Scheme and GirlsGetSET
• Opportunity to gain a Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification
Beyond Year 5:
• Opportunity to attend the Aviation Appreciation Course (Ground School & Flight Training)
• Application for Professional Registration as IET Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS PRINCIPAL ENGINEER LEVEL 7 APPRENTICESHIP (OPTIONAL IN YEARS 6 – 7)
• The option to continue to a bespoke MSc in Digital Electronics Systems Engineering
• Progression towards Professional Registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the IET
On completion, you will have the skills and experience required to progress your career into one of our engineering functions, including:
• Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Hardware & Test Systems and In-Service Product Support allowing you the scope to grow your career in a variety of directions.
Visit our YouTube channel to learn more: https://www.youtube.com/user/GE
This posting is for our September 2021 Apprentice intake, and Assessment Centres will take place during January – April 2021. If you are successful in getting through the initial CV screening, you will be invited to record a video application. Successful candidates at the Video stage will be invited to a full day Assessment Centre at GE Aviation Systems in Cheltenham. All application invitations will be issued via email.
You will need a minimum of 96 UCAS points via:
• Three A-Levels at grade C or above, one of which must be Maths, plus another STEM-based subject such as Physics/Electronics/Computing or similar, or,
• BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering at grade MMM or above, or,
• Equivalent qualification with appropriate Maths content
You will also need to demonstrate:
• Commitment to Personal Development and Community Volunteering
• Dedication to a career in technology and a genuine passion for engineering
• Pro-activity, initiative and enthusiasm
• A genuine interest in, and experience of, working with people
• An analytic and collaborative approach to problem-solving
• An awareness of the GE Aviation Systems Cheltenham business, including our products and customers
In addition to a CV applications must also include a Cover Letter which demonstrates your interest in the GE Aviation Systems Engineering Degree Apprenticeship and your above and beyond approach to self-development.
Start Date: Monday 13th September 2021
Desired Characteristics :
Additional consideration will be given if you are able to demonstrate:
• GE Work Experience and/or participation in one of our Educational Strategy schemes – GirlsGetSET, Cheltenham Science Festival, K’Nex Challenge, Engineering Education Scheme, Imagineering, Go4SET, Industrial Cadets, etc.
Disclaimer: Information taken from external company website and correct as at 13/11/21. Please see below link for up to date information.
Full information & application details: