About Our School
Shared values. Pride in belonging.
South Gloucestershire and Stroud (SGS) College is the largest post-16 provider in the Greater Gloucestershire Area.
The Forest High School is sponsored by South Gloucestershire and Stroud College (SGS) through the SGS Academy Trust. In their recent OFSTED inspection, SGS achieved the outstanding designation for Leadership and Management, Learner Support, preparing learners for employment, Sport, Performing Arts, Visual Arts and Business. The expertise of our sponsor in these areas will provide many opportunities for learners at The Forest High School.
The School will ensure
- Maximum student engagement in lessons through ‘active learning’ which is at the core of all learning experiences.
- Clear learning objectives are shared with students at the start of every lesson.
- Teachers have excellent subject knowledge and industry experience.
- Learning activities are differentiated and well-matched to students’ needs.
- Close monitoring and tracking of learning progress ensures appropriate intervention and support when needed.
- Students explore the learning styles which suit them best and co-construct learning experiences with their teachers.
- Students know their long-term learning and attainment targets and are involved in tracking their own progress. Parents can now access their progress on-line.
- Innovative technology supports learning in all learning spaces.
- Teachers know their students well, challenging and supporting each child.
- Our Behaviour for Learning policy ensures the highest standards of behaviour.
- Small group and intensive 1-1 tuition is offered to students as required.
- Students are trained to coach their peers.
- Learning is fun.
At The Forest High School, we actively promote British values through our school vision, ethos, agreed rules, curriculum, and teaching.
As such, we promote tolerance of, and respect for, people of all faiths (or those with no faith), cultures, and lifestyles.
We prepare children and young people positively for life in modern Britain by supporting them through our words, actions, and influence, not just within school, but also within the wider community.
Promoting Our Values
The government defines British values as:
- Rule of law.
- Individual liberty.
- Mutual respect.
- Tolerance of those of different faiths.
At The Forest High School, we value the diverse ethnic backgrounds of all pupils and families and undertake a variety of events and lessons to celebrate these. We have found this approach to be enriching for all parties as it teaches tolerance and respect for the differences in our community and the wider world. Underpinning all of this is a range of curriculum topics that have strong links to the British Empire. We actively challenge children, staff, and parents expressing opinions contrary to fundamental British values, including ‘extremist’ views.
Although the school faces constraints due to the age of some of the buildings, the following adaptations have been made to the school environment and its facilities in order to help students with SEND to access The Forest High School:
- Disabled parking spaces clearly marked, located next to the school reception.
- Handrails, where appropriate.
- Ramps to enable access to the Science block and to the lift in T block.
- Alternative changing room available.
- Lifts in T Block and the Science block.
- A medical room, to enable a safe place for insulin testing/injections.
- A hoist to enable access to the swimming pool.
- Disabled toilet.
The Forest High School is committed to making the school accessible to all.